Are Clonazepam and Gabapentin addictive at small doses?

Dr. Ishu Bishnoi

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: SIR I HAVE BEEN TAKING 2MG CLONAZEPAM SINCE 1998. MAY I BE TOLERENT TO IT? WITH IT I HAVE BEEN TAKING 400MG QUTIAPIN PLAIN +10MG ZOLFRESH+ 600MG GABANEURON SR AT NIGHT.I M OKAY WITH THIS DOSE FOR MY BIPOLAR/SLEEP DISORDER. IS GABANEURO ADDICTIVE OR I BE DEPENDENT OF IT?
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Conazepam and Gabapentine tolerance and addiction

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for asking from HCM.

I can understand your concern. You are on tablet clonazepam 2mg/d, qutiapin 400mg/d, zolpidem (zolfresh) 10mg/d and gabapentine (gabaneuron) 600mg/d. As you are a known case of bipolar and sleep disorder, antidepressants (qutiapin), anxiolytic (clonazepam) and sleep inducing agents (clonazepam and zolpidem) are justified. But the dose of clonazepam is high and you are using it for such a long duration (1998). Such long duration and high dose can cause addiction and tolerance. So you are right in asking about clonazepam tolerance. You must consult your psychiatrist to taper the dose and stop it. To combat the serious psychological effects of drug discontinuation, you should

- Take help (mental and physical) from family and friends.

- Indulge yourself in your hobbies/extracurricular activities. Keep yourself busy.

- Avoid stressful conditions.

- Do Yoga and meditation to calm down your nerves. You can take help from professional.

Now coming to Gabapentine use, it is an antiepileptic medication with neuropathic pain killer and sedative properties. I don't know why are you taking it? In your case, you don't have any complaint of pain or seizures. It is not needed. Gabapentine is not addictive, but its long term use can damage your kidneys. My advise is to ask your psychiatrist to stop this medication.

Hope it will help you. If you have nay doubts, do let me know.
Thanks. take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 1 hour later
So sir I should stop gabapin and reduce the DOSE of clonazepam. l regularly do Yoga and Pranayam. From the very day in 1998 my doctor PUT me on 2mg clonazepam with prothedin75mg. LITHIUM SET me but it BADLY AFFECTED MY THYROID PROFILE. So I have to stop it. So sir now my DOSE would be 2mg clonazepam with providing with 400mg quetiapin plain and 10mg zolfresh. please guide me.
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Drug dose adjustment

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX welcome back.

I agree with you about discontinuation of Gabapentine. But clonazepam dose adjustment require help from psychiatrist. It's because it has addiction and tolerance profile. You can continue with your 2 mg dose till you discuss it with psychiatrist.
You can continue Quetiapin and Zolpidem.

It is very good to know about your regular Yoga and Pranayam. You must have noticed the difference in your body. Continue it throughout your life. Try other measures also.

I hope you got my point. If you still have any doubt, do let me know.
Thanks. Take care.
Sir thanks PL.post me your valuable tips for me and oblige.
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thanks a lot for the appreciation

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX Thanks a lot for the appreciation.

I will be happy to help you at any time. If you need any other help, please let me know. I have mentioned about family and friends support, extra-curricular activities like gardening/painting/art/music, keep yourself busy in work, in my previous answer. Please follow these also.

Thanks. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad