Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Taken antibiotics for tooth abscess. Fluid build up in roof of mouth. Do I need to get it lanced?

I have a tooth abscess that I saw my doctor about yesterday. I can t afford to see a dentist (in australua we have free health care but this doesn t include dentists). He prescribed some antibiotics to clear the infection and the swelling and pain has already improved a lot. But there is now a fluid build up in the roof of my mouth. Do I need to get it lanced at the doctor? Or will it eventually drain on its own? I m only on day 2 of a 5 day course of antibiotics.
Asked On : Mon, 26 Nov 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  1202
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dentist 's  Response
Holding salt water in your mouth for about 10 minutes at a time, packing the area of the tooth abscess with tea bags for a day - are two of the common home remedies for a tooth abscess. Put the Strepsil next to the gum area of the tooth with the abscess, so that the antibacterial effect is as close to the infection as one can get it.It is important to keep the lozenge in position for several hours, without sucking it.
Answered: Tue, 27 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Stephen Christensen's  Response
Hello. I'm Dr. Christensen.
I'm sorry you're having trouble with your tooth. You didn't mention if your abscess is in one of your upper teeth, in which case the swelling in the roof of your mouth could be a collection of pus and should, therefore, be lanced. If your abscess is in one of your lower teeth, the swelling in the roof of your mouth could be a sign of an allergic reaction to the antibiotic, and this should be evaluated immediately by your doctor.
Now, keep in mind that even after this swelling is addressed, the antibiotic you're taking is only a temporary fix. Once the antibiotic is completed, your abscess will probably return unless you see a dentist to get your bad tooth addressed.
I hope that answers your question, and I hope things go well for you.
Answered: Mon, 26 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor