Can an abscessed tooth cause swollen lymph nodes?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Mon, 21 Aug 2017 in Dental Health
Question: 34 female
Lower jaw tooth abcess
Lumpth node, rubbery, firm and painful
When i drink more swells more following hours into next morning with sharper pain.
Scared its lympthoma?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reactionary Lymphadenitis, not Lymphoma.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

As you have a tooth abscess then it is a clear indication that the lymph nodes are inflamed due to tooth infection..

Also painful swollen lymph nodes are commonly due to Infection..

You should get your abscessed tooth treated with Root Canal treatment or extraction followed by antibiotics and anti inflammatory painkillers..

It will help in resolving the swelling and pain related to the lymph nodes too..

For further confirmation you can get an ultrasound and FNAC of the lymph nodes..

Hope this helps..

Regards .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad