Suggest treatment for severe pain in the calves

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 5 Sep 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have been having really bad pain in my claves, especially the right one, it doesn't stop at all and makes it extremely hard to walk.I recently had an abscessed tooth and have been on amoxicillin for 4 days, I didn't know if there was a possibility of the two being tied together. Tks

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to many causes.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in the calf that you have is not likely to be related to the tooth abscess. This can be due to many causes-
1. Calf muscle strain and tear - Usually due to overwork and overstretching of the muscles. Recent increase in leg exercises may cause these. Gradual increase in exercise and pain killers with mild anti inflammatory drugs can help in reducing the symptoms.

2. Prolonged intake of hormonal therapy like oral pills or HRT might cause this.

3. Muscle ischaemia- associated with diabetes usually. There is acute pain associated with it.

4. Deep vein thrombosis- comes last among the list of probable diagnosis.
You need proper investigations to find out the cause.
You may get the initial physical examination, relevant tests and treatment done under care of 'Orthopaedician'.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal