Swollen stomach after hernia surgery. Will it flatten if abdominal exercises are done and how long will it take?

I had hernia surgery two months ago. My stomach has swollen so much it is now the size of a basketball. My doctor tells me their is nothing that can be done because it is a combination of the internal parts pushing out and fat. He implanted a mesh over the hernias which is in good condition. Reading on this webb site it looks as tho it is common for swelling to occur after hernia surgery. Until the insides repair themselves and they quit giving of fluids this will happen. It may take several months but the swelling should go down. I have also been told that by two nurses. It also appears from the comments that I need to be doing abdominal exersizes to flatten the abs. What do you think?
Thu, 14 Nov 2013