What causes swelling in the scrotum?

Posted on Tue, 3 Oct 2017 in Lump
Question: Good morning doctor,
I have swelling in my scrotum on the left side, it is not my testicle but something leading to my testicle. The swelling goes away over night, but is swollen again within about an hour after I get up in the morning. No pain, discomfort and worry.
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Farther tests need to be done to confirm an inguinal hernia...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking Healthcaremagic.

I have gone through your symptoms and my answer is as follows:
the symptoms correlate with an inguinal hernia.

The inguinal hernia occurs when tissue pushes through a weak spot in the groin muscle.This causes a bulge in the groin or in the scrotum.

Usually an inguinal hernia is followed by pain,but there are a lot of other times when the patient has only the bulge (the swelling in your case)

As you have prescribed, at night,when we lie down,the hernia tends to vanish,and as soon as we weak up,or we start walking,it pushes out again.Even bending, straining, or laughing can increase its size.
You should not lift heavy weights because in some occasions,our intestine gets trapped inside the hernia and in this case it is an emergency.

If I was your caring doctor I would recommend to do an ultrasound to confirm the diagnose.
Also your doctor will do a physical exam to check the integrity of the muscles in the inguinal canal (anatomic canal in the groin area)

Depending by the results of the ultrasound,probably you will need to consult a surgeon and do a hernia repair.

If you have any other question,don't hesitate to contact me.

Wish you good health.

Dr.Endri Katro

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Endri Katro

General Surgeon