Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Swelling in ankles and feet, bruises on shins and calves. Injured and hospitalized previously. Should i be concerned?

I am a 52 year old active woman. I was in an auto accident 3 months ago and my lower legs suffered severe contusions. I was ambulanced to hospital for back, neck and leg trauma and x-rayed immediately after wreck, showing no fractures. Still have bruising on both shins (left most severe), and back of calves. I was unable to walk well for a couple of weeks. Have continued to see doctor, but nothing has been done until this last visit, transdermal cortisol treatment. No change noted. Just visited Walt Disney World and legs also continue to swell very badly (ankles and feet) with mild walking (shopping, park walks over an hour, etc.). Should I be worried?
Asked On : Wed, 10 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  36
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,  
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
thanks for using health care magic

In as much as the swelling could be related to inflammation brought about by the trauma, at 52 years, other possible causes have to be excluded.

You should be concerned and meet an internist for detail cardiovascular, hepatic and renal investigations.

Following the examination by the internist, you may require to do an ultrasound of the heart, liver and kidneys, liver and renal function tests and an ECG.

Hope this helps you
Best regards
Dr Achuo
Answered: Wed, 3 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
It is very uncommon to have bruise marks leftover even after 3 months of injury as the maximum time by which they fade off is around 3-4 weeks. Anyway its not a matter of major concern.
Regarding you swollen ankles and feet, I think it is normal for your age after period of walk and prolonged standing and can be considered as "Physiological" dependent oedema.
If you are much worried and concerned , approach a vascular surgeon for evaluation. Hope this helps
Answered: Wed, 3 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor