• question-icon

Suggest treatment for high BP

My blood pressure 145/88 pulse 91 female 47years old approx 70kilo. Not on any mediaction. Blood pressue usually 165/98 has gone to 200/103. BP medications make me sick have been experiencing severe headaches in front of head put me in bed for two days at a time
Tue, 15 Jul 2014
Thank you for the query.
As per the history, you are a 47 yrs old lady with a BP recording of 165/98 mm of hg (not on any medications) and sudden severe headaches. I would like to know if you have any comorbidities like cardiac ailments or dyslipidemia.
As per the latest hypertension guidelines (JNC VIII), if your age less than 60 yrs your BP should be preferably below 150/90 mm of HG. You need to start antihypertensive medications like Calcium channel blockers or ACE Inhibtors or ARBS or diuretics, either single drug or multiple drugs (after consulting your physician. Since you have sudden rise of BP levels, with severe headache, I would advise you to go for a USG abdomen, with renal doppler, to rule out renal artery stenosis (specially if you need to start ACEI/ARB) and any adrenal pathology.
Apart from medications, you need to restrict your dietary salt intake and go for a daily exercise regimen. Please do visit your physician for a check up, investigations and graded introduction of medications.
Hope this helps you out.