Does acute enteritis cause headache and diarrhea?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have ingested fish with cigutera! What is the best way to handle the symptoms? Headache, diarrhea, sensitivity to water....
Also, should I try to eat?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acute enteritis.
Don't eat till you get your appetite back rather drink plenty of fluids.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking query.

Most likely you and your husband are suffering from acute enteritis(gut infection).
Diarrhea causes loss of important electrolytes from body. Imbalance between sodium potassium and chloride ions causes severe headache and nausea.Toxins released inside gut by pathogens causes severe irritation of gut leading to sensitivity to water or any other edible thing.

Rx
Tablet Ofloxacin 200mg twice daily(control bacterial toxins)
Tab Metrogyl 400mg thrice daily()control protozoal toxins and growth)
Tab Imodium 2mg thrice daily(to control loose motions) this is over the counter.
Cap Bifilac(any over the counter probiotic)
Drink lots of oral rehydration solution,Orange juice and coconut water. Ofloxacin and Metrogyl are antibiotics and need a written prescription.

Eat boiled and bland food.
Take fruits like apple and banana.
Take lots of yoghurt and curd.
Avoid meat and other oily heavy foods for 2-3 days.
Take bed rest.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj