• question-icon

Suggest management for hiatus hernia with IBS

I had hiatal hernia repair about 10 years ago - the cut me from sternum to palvis and said it was the worst one they had seen - the outside of the stomach at that point was like raw hamburger and was causing internal bleeding to the point I could not hold blood counts. Now I experienced pain in the abdomon every since as I had ruptured out the insicion internally and had mess placed in and then about 18 mo. later needed to have 1/2 to 3/4 of my colun removed as I was experincing reacuring Diverticulitous. After this surgery I developed infections and had drain holes along the insicion for about 3 monthes that my husband packed several times a day. Now I am having more server pain and a pulling sensation under my rib cage on both sides and pain along the insicion - Most nights I am not able to get comfortable to sleep and Vicodin doesn't usally totally cover for the full 4 hours between doses. They did a CT of ab & Pelvis earlier this week and said there was influmation, a moderate hiatal hernia and evidance of IBS - any suggestions as to how to help my self? I am finding it hard to work as I feel nausous often and have dumping soon after eatting.
Fri, 27 Apr 2018

The symptoms relate to possible post-operative adhesions with a recurrence of a hiatus hernia.

Now the management protocol must be towards the evaluation of severity with upper GI endoscopy, diagnostic laparoscopy for best guidelines.

Primary relieving factors are proton pump inhibitors, antacid, bulk-forming laxative, anti-anxiety pills to soothe the gut muscles.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel