Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Suffering with schizophrenia, hears various sounds. Remedial resumes?

Dear Doctor, I am, 80, from Kolkata, India . My son Sukanchan Palit, 44, is an Assi. Professor in one of the lading university at Dheradun. He was suffering from Schizophrenia since 1993. He has long history treatment. Now he suffers from Sound Hearing which kills him. Some time intolerable. He consults his doctor over phone at Kolkata. I was wondering if you can examine him and provide remedial resumes.Is it possible consult you on Sunday evening.It is his holiday. His no is 0000.His email Id is YYYY@YYYY I look forward for your kind advice.
Asked On : Fri, 21 Dec 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  37
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for your query. What you are trying to describe are "hallucinations" which are generally distressing to the patient. Schizophrenia is a chronic disease requiring almost life-long anti-psychotic medication with periodic follow up and assessment by a psychiatrist. Adequate dosage of anti-psychotics and compliance to medication are essential in the long run.
Dr Sundar Gnanavel
Answered: Sun, 30 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand your concern regarding your son's psychiatric illness. Hearing non-existant sounds or voices is called "hallucinations", and this is a core symptom of Schizophrenia. This has to be treated with appropriate doses of anti-psychotic medication. You must also understand that Schizophrenia is a chronic illness which needs long term, regular treatment.

Your son will need a detailed assessment to determine the extent severity of his symptoms, and to review his past response to medication. So, I would suggest that you advise him to consult a psychiatrist in person in his area for further treament. You can also keep reminding him and monitoring him to take regular treatment.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Sat, 22 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor