What are the side effects of Latuda?

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: Hello kind sir:

My son’s doctor still felt that the Latuda has the least side effects. One of the biggest problems is that my son cannot tell if the medication is working. I️ can see some results that gives me hope. However. He still does not like to inter act with a lot of people or leave the home much. I️ believe he needs more outside stimulation.
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
What dose of Latuda is he taking?

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear.
Good to hear that your son is showing some signs of improvement. Also, what makes mee more happier is that you are hopeful for his recovery.
I believe hope is the first step towards recovery from any problem.

As Latuda has started to show some effect, I am interested to know what dose of Latuda is he taking?

As he still does not like to interact with people or leave home much, I think the symptoms are still persisting.
He may need outside stimulation but do not force him to do so please. Sometimes the people with schizophrenia are so engrossed in their thoughts that they do not like any one to interfere.

The dose adjustment of Latuda is needed. I feel so.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 6 hours later
Hello Kind Sir:

Thank you for the response. My son is taking the Latuda 50mg and Quetipine 400mg 2x per day. The Latuda is to be taken with food around dinner time.

I will not push him to interact with others. I just want for him to not stay isolated and have more physical activities to help stimulate other areas of his life. I believe that too much down time creates an idol mind and the illusions, fear and other issues began to intensify over the long run.
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Engage him in simple activities

Detailed Answer:

Absolutely..Idle mind may become home for fears, illusions and negative thoughts.
You can persuade him gradually to engage in some simple activities like reading, gardening, listening to music, art and painting. Just be careful that you do not become too clingy which may irritate him.

If needed, dose of Latuda can be increased gradually upto 120mg, after discussing with your treating doctor.

All the best.
Hope your son gets well soon.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T