Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Suffering from prostrate gland enlargement with burning sensation, frequent urination. Surgery suggested. Is surgery the only way to cure?

hi doctor this is bharthi, Actually my father is suffering from prostrate gland enlargement with burning sensation, frequent urination .i have consulted many doctor they are suggesting for surgery . but he doesnt want to have surgery. He is 63 yrs old, height is 5.4 inch and weight about 60kg. i just want to have an idea that is the prostrate gland enlargement can be cured only by the way of surgery.
Asked On : Tue, 15 May 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  377
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Welcome to HCM

BPH that is benign prostatic hyperplasia. Watchful waiting is often chosen by men who are not bothered by symptoms of BPH. This is not useful in case of your father as he has symptoms.

Medical treatment of BPH is usually reserved for men who have significant symptoms. There are two group of drugs that can be useful include

1.alpha blockers these drugs relax the smooth muscles of the prostate, and the bladder neck, which helps to relieve urinary obstruction caused by an enlarged prostate in BPH.

2. 5-alpha reductase inhibitors These block the conversion of the male hormone into its active form in the prostate. The prostate enlargement in BPH is directly dependent on this hormone, so these drugs lead to an approximate 25% reduction in prostate size over six to 12 months. For this reason, improvement in urinary symptoms most commonly takes this long to occur.

You can speak with your consulting doctor about these drugs, this can be tried if there is no contraindication for these drugs.

If medical treatment fails surgery is the option.

Hope i have given the information you needed.

Wish your dad good health.

take care.
Answered: Tue, 15 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor