Does Gabapentin interact with Nortriptyline?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 14 Sep 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: A friend wants to take natural product with stinging nettle, pygeum africanum and saw palmetto. He asks if there is any drug interaction with his current meds: toprolol, gabapentin and nortriptilene. Many thanks in advance for your time and effort!
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no clear information re pygeum

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Stinging nettle can sometimes decrease the blood pressure and in this way it may interact with blood pressure medication to cause the blood pressure to go lower than necessary.
He would need to monitor his blood pressure readings to make sure that this does not occur.

Saw palmetto mainly interacts with medications that affect bleeding such as clotting medications or nsaids (aspirin,ibuprofen, naproxen). It does not interact with the medication mentioned.

Pygeum: the interactions are not well documented so it is not clear what are the possible effects.
it may not have any effects/interactions but this is not clear.

The stinging nettle and saw palmetto would be fine except for monitoring blood pressure but it is not clear if there are any interactions with the other herb

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions