Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Small child, fluid-filled lump on head, might have suffered head injury. Treatment for lump?

my 2 year old daughter has a fluid filled lump on her head. I just noticed this today and. my initial thought is it may be from bumping her head on the ground while rough housing with her cousin but it isnt hard enough to be a goose egg. What could this be? it is about the size of my half my thumb and doesnt hurt when i touch it. she is acting completely normal as well.
Asked On : Sat, 26 Jan 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  36
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician, Cardiology 's  Response
Scalp swelling in most of the cases is due to head trauma, injury may remain unnoticed in many cases and then swelling will be the only manifestation.
Scalp swelling following trauma may be soft in consistency as in your case.
Other cause of soft scalp swelling may be a cyst, abscess, folliculitis etc.
Out of these only cyst will be not painful.
Since it is not present since birth so congenital causes are excluded.
I would suggest you to consult your doctor for clinical checkup to find the diagnosis.
Answered: Sat, 26 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
The swelling looking like a resolving contusion(hematoma).
In early it will be painful and tense,while resolving it will be soft with no tenderness.
As she is active and normal nothing to worry and this lump will subside gradually.
If it is not decreasing in size.or causing any discomfort consult your Pediatrician.
Hope i have answered your query.
Answered: Sat, 26 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Synthyia Bhagat's  Response
Thanks for your query,
It could be hematoma due to some trivial injury.
Relax,there is nothing to worry as your child is active.
I suggest you to observe swelling and activity of your child and in case it does not subside i advise you to get her examined by doctor.

Wishing your child good health.
God bless,
Answered: Sat, 26 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor