Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Severe back injury, rib fractures, basal atelectasis. Prescribed painkillers. Cure?

Hello, I fell on my back, from a standing position, onto a solid teak table which broke in two. The investigation revealed posterior rib fractures , basal atelectasis, and basal consolidation. The only treatment offered me is painkillers (tradamol, paracetamol & stemetil). Nothing was mentioned about antibiotics to treat any infection. I am completely in the dark and very worried. What do I do?
Asked On : Fri, 21 Dec 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  144
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General Surgeon 's  Response

Thank you for the query.

There is no other treatment for rib fractures than pain killer. Antibiotics are not necessary if no signs of airways infection. Such fractures can heal even 4 weeks so you need to be patient. The only thing I would change is a type of painkiller. In bones and muscles pains, the best one is Diclophenac.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Sat, 22 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Mayank Bhargava's  Response
Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query.
Do you have fever/ cough with sputum production/ breathlessness?
Are you suffering from pneumonia yet now or before chest injury?
Basal atelectasis and consolidation is a radiological findings and it appears to be post injury contusion in lungs.
You should again consult with your treating doctor and go for thorough examination of chest.
Basal atelectasis may be localized hemothorax along with large contusion.
If you don't have fever then it will treat with time and you have to continue prescribed pain killers.
Rib fracture gets cured itself with time.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Answered: Fri, 21 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Himanshu Pandey's  Response
Hi rivkian ! Ok take medicine, don't try to lift objects. Now as weather is cold do warm compress to affected part. Don't do exercise, if it hurt in walking try spine supporter. If you sit, sit with spine straight in normal position. Take rest soon things heal. Be safe. Bye.
Answered: Fri, 21 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Radiologist Dr. Ganesh Sanap's  Response
Hi, welcome to HCM.
Changes in lung are post traumatic. It will resolved in few days. Your matter of concern is quite logical. They must prescribe antibiotics .consult your physician regarding the same.
If they are have different plan of action then you will came to know that. Otherwise ask for antibiotics.
Hope i have answered your query.
Answered: Fri, 21 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor