SSI and SSD due to a serious heart condition. Can you give me some advice for him ?

My brother recently applied for his SSI and SSD due to a serious heart condition. He got a letter telling him that they would re-evaluate him in a month, since his medical condition just occurred. Well this condition leaves him with more heart stent placements and possible open heart surgery , in a year. All of his medical records support this. I feel like they are just delaying things. Should he go ahead and seek an attorney, for he is unable to work, because he is a mechanic and he is almost 60 years old. He already has one stent placement, with high blood pressure and coronary heart disease . What should he do at this point, because in a month is condition is not going to be changed. He will be a medication for a year, and at this point, this is when the doctors will decide what needs to be done. Can you give me some advice for him?
Thu, 17 Dec 2009