Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Replaced loose filling, terrible mouth pain, taking antibiotics. How to get relief from it?

I have been to the dentist about 4 weeks ago and he had to replace a loose filling & gave me anitbiotics and ever since then I have had a niggling pain (occasionally) on the right side of my mouth, then last Monday, Tues, Wed I had a nawing pain which came on at tea time so took painkillers and it disappeared. On two consecutive nights at the weekend I woke during the night with a nawing pain on the right hand side of my face, lips , gums, tongue and jaw (took some painkillers but took ages to settle so that I could sleep). Made appt at dentist yesterday and he took an x-ray but could not see any problems so gave me more antibiotics to take and I have another appt with him on Friday afternoon. The right hand side of my face flared up again tonight with the same symptoms as the weekend!!
Asked On : Sat, 2 Mar 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  61
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Dentist 's  Response

The decay in your filled teeth has affected pulp and periapical region ,which results in pain sensation.

The filling has to be removed to extirpate the infected pulp underlying.

Antibiotics and analgesics will relieve pain temporarily.
If periapical area is infected,root canal treatment has to be done.

I would suggest you to get the treatment soon by a dentist.

You can go for a second opinion too.

Hope this helps.
Answered: Sat, 2 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hello and welcome,

Pain in the right side of the jaw is may be due to infection arising from carious teeth , periodontal abscess related to jaw bones , periapical abscess draining from infected tooth , cysts or granuloma.

Exact diagnosis can be made only after clinical examination and X RAY evaluation.

i would suggest you to get the OPG radiograph done , which will show the cause of pain ,infection and the structures involved.

As you have mentioned you have severe pain that has spread to lips , gums and tongue . i suspect it to be a periodontal abscess that needs to be drained and associated teeth needs to be treated with root canal procedure followed by a course of antibiotic .

consult a dentist soon and get the evaluation done , meantime you can start with antibiotic AUGMENTIN 625mg along with acecloefnac serratiopeptidase tablets for 3 to 5 days which will help in subsiding pain and inflammation.

i hope this helps,

take care.
Answered: Sat, 2 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Dr. Manmeet Singh's  Response
thnk u for the query,
based on symptoms etc there seems to be a decayed tooth involving the pulp tissue of a tooth. U need a details examination and radio graphical assessment following which treatment has to be decided. there could be a situation were in the causative tooth troubling every now and then can be considered for an intentional root-canal ( if required ). visit ur nearest specialist and get urself rechecked and hope ur problem should resolve soon...!!!! gud luck,
Dr. Manmeet
Answered: Sat, 2 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
dear friend.

thanks for sharing your concern.

it seems from your history that you have lots of, pain due to pulp exposure.the pulp beneath any of your filled teeth is infected upon exposure,your tooth is acting like a closed chamber where pressure gets built up resulting in pain now.

your dentist could not see anything in xray just because no periapical pathology has developed is very much in initial stages.

i would suggest you for a second opinion too.please carry your old xrays and if required take a new one too at a different angle.meanwhile take tab combiflam 500 mg every six hourly.
hope it helps.
Answered: Sat, 2 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor