Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Repititiveness, forgetfullness, garbled speech, eyes watery, history of high blood pressure. What should be done?

My father is 54 years old. He has a history of high blood pressure and is on medication for it though he doesn t take it regularly. In the mornings and while at work (he s a lawyer), he is completely lucid and coherent- like his normal self. However, he often comes home in a very different state. He has trouble carrying on a conversation, often saying things that are unrelated to each other or to the conversation, or telling us the same things he told us the night before, or has trouble understanding what we re saying even though we ve explained it more than once. He has also come home and panicked because no one was home. Sometimes his speech seems garbled and his eyes watery, but he doesn t smell of alcohol. He often comes home and wants to go straight to bed. It s made family life very difficult, and since he refuses to see any doctors, we don t know if he s just overly tired or stressed when he comes home, if he s depressed, if he s on some medication we don t know about, or if there could be something in his brain causing this. We d appreciate any advice or ideas as to what could be going on here. Thanks very much for your time, Elizabeth M.
Asked On : Sat, 21 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  48
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear patient,

The symptoms are obviously worrisome, particularly of an altered mental status due to a metabolic process (high blood sugar), a neurodegenerative disease (like Alzheimers) or a substance that you cannot "smell" (drugs like opiods, cocaine, meth).

A visit to a doctor is needed to conduct a mental exam, a physical exam and even perhaps in the set of laboratory tests a drug screen; as stressed out professionals, we are subject to higher rates of substance abuse or misuse.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Answered: Fri, 19 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor