Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Red, itchy and irritated skin around eyes with burning sensation. Is it an infection?

Hi there.....My doctor has told me that the red, itchy irritated skin around my eyes is a response to allergies. This came on all at once and I have never suffered anything more than mild hay fever in the spring on our farm. Is it possible to have an infection of some sort? I cannot get into the allergy specialist for a couple of weeks and this burning around the eyes is driving me crazy!
Asked On : Thu, 21 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  95
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Red itchy skin around the eyes is , most often, due to allergies. If there is no itching within the eyes, there seems to be no need to start any topical medication in the form of eye drops to be used internally. More often than not an oral antihistamine like 5 mg Cetrizine tablets relieve the symptoms. However, sometimes patients tend to feel sleepy with this and hence an alternative is Levocetrizine tablets taken 2 times a day for a few days. The red, itchy skin around your eyes may be treated locally with an eye ointment that has an antibiotic and steroid combinaiton like ciprofloxacin with dexamethasone 2 times a day again for a few days to be continued till your doctor's appointment.
Answered: Fri, 22 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor