Suggest medication for hand-foot syndrome

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been taking capecitabine++500MG (4000MG per day) for 3 months after healing from XXXXXXX surgery having the right half of my colon removed. My hands and feet have lost al the epidermis and are as red as beets. They are very sensitive. Lines have developed on both palms and each and every outer skin joint in my hands are very painful to bend my fingers. My feet are super sore on the bottoms and around the outside of each foot. I will be off chemo starting tomorrow for 2 months. I've been using Udder Butter skin cream twice a day for a moisturizer. Is there any medication that will improve the condition of my hands nd feet. I desperate. David Dixon ( YYYY@YYYY )
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. Urea based creams are helpful

Detailed Answer:
hello dear. I understand your concern. you are suffering from hand foot syndrome classical of capecitabine. By your description, it seems a severe manifestation of this syndrome and immediate stopping of capecitabine is recommended.
We recommend urea based creams ( like cotaryl) application 6 to 8 times a day. besides that, a short course of steroids will be extremely helpful.
Thanks and regards
Feel free to ask further. it may take a couple of weeks to heal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 1 hour later
Thanks for your quick response. I have 1 more day of capecitabine and I'll be off of it for 2 months. During this time I do have a visit with my oncologist. Can you provide me with a prescription for a steroid?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello. Iam sorry , but a proper prescrition is not feasible

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. A written prescription is not valid online. I can just say that steroids like dexamethasone and prednisolone will help in low doses for a period of 3 to 5 days. You also use steroid cream for similar duration 3 times a day.
Hope it helps.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D