Prognosis for someone with a left ventrical ejection

what is the prognosis for someone with a left ventrical ejection fraction of 20-25% and cardiomyopathy?
Sun, 16 Jan 2011
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Thoracic Surgeon 's  Response
Non restrictive diastolic physiology in patients with systolic dysfunction provide a better
prognosis than those with restrictive physiology, independent of EF, therefore in large trials their subtypes should be further characterized due to its good prognosis.In heart failure, particularly in dilated cardiomyopathy, EF can become very small as SV decreases and EDV increases. In severe heart failure, EF may be 20% or less. EF is often used as a clinical index to evaluate the the inotropic status of the heart. However, it is important to note that there are circumstances in which EF can be normal, yet the ventricle is in failure. One example is diastolic dysfunction caused by hypertrophy in which filling is impaired because of low ventricular compliance and stroke volume is therefore reduced. In this case, both SV and EDV can be reduced such that EF does not change appreciably. For this reason, low ejection fractions are generally associated with systolic dysfunction rather than diastolic dysfunction.it is difficult to answer without more information on your history. Cardiomyopathy with a low ejection fraction puts you at higher risk for dangerous arrythmias
malavika's  Response
That is difficult to answer without more information on your history. Cardiomyopathy with a low ejection fraction puts you at higher risk for dangerous arrythmias. You may be a candidate for a Biventricular ICD (an implanted pacemaker/defibrillator). This is a device which can pace both ventricles simultaneously to mimic a more natural heart contraction, thus boosting your cardiac output. Regular pacemakers only pace one ventricle .It can also detect and terminate any dangerous heart rhythms. Your cardiologist could refer you to an Electrophysiologist (a specialist in heart rhythms) for evaluation. Many people feel noticeably better after having one implanted. You might find more information on the Heart Rhythm Society webpage. Good Luck :o)