Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Previous acid injury on hand, swollen. Should i go for plastic surgery or use mederma?

I needed few suggestions before using this product, 7 years ago i have met with acid injury on my hand, after few days my hands skin where so swollen that it looks so bad, i have to use full hand dresses to cover my hands since then, but i recently saw the advertisement of mederma on TV for skin treatment, i wanted to ask whether this product is curable on acid burns or should i undergo plastic surgery which usually expensive.

Thanks in Advance!!!
Asked On : Wed, 27 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  35
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Dermatologist 's  Response
Welcome to healthcare magic
If I could see the scar I could assess it better. If it is a raised scar you will benefit with intra lesional steroid injections and topical silicone gel application.

If it is a flat pigmented scar topical creams suffice. Mederma can be used. Sunscreen with high spf should be applied during day time.

I will recommend you to consult a Dermatologist first and not plastic surgeon.
Hope this helped
Take care
Answered: Thu, 27 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dermatologist Dr. Neera Kataria's  Response
Hi, thanks for your posting your query to us.

You had a acid burn 7 years ago. By this time Scars must be present.

Mederma cream is indicated for scars. It softens and smoothens the scars and makes them less noticeable. But this is a very slow process and at times minimal changes are noticeable even if used for a long time especially in long standing scars as in your case..This may lead to frustration. It does not give as promising results as a plastic surgery.

You may use mederma on your scars but I feel you should go for plastic surgery as it will give immediate results and boost your self confidence.

But if the cost matters, you may choose between the two.

Hope this helps you.
Answered: Thu, 27 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor