Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Possible to have acid reflux and hiatal hernia?

Hi. If I have acid reflux is it possible that I could also have a hiatal hernia which I actually feel? I keep feeling something like a protruding or pressure feeling right under my left rib (at the base of the rib cage). I actually will adjust how I am sitting so as not to feel the sensation even more. It does not hurt but is very noticeable and uncomfortable, similar to feeling a baby's foot in the abdomen while pregnant (I had 3 children) and no I am not pregnant. I am 55 and post menopausal. The sensation comes and goes. I have been noticing it for a year now.
Asked On : Wed, 16 Oct 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  146
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Sep 2013
Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum.
If I were your treating doctor for this case of swelling in the ( under ) left rib cage ,I would come up with these possibilities , these includes.
1 May be Hiatus hernia , diagnosis can be confirmed by upper G I endoscopy . As you don't mention any pain in the region so may be swelling or lump in the stomach ,so upper endoscopy will find out the exact nature of disease.
2 May be enlarged mass of spleen , diagnosis can be confirmed by ultrasound of spleen .
So in my opinion consult a physician and get his opinion as physical examination is very important in this case.
Good luck. Dr. HET
Answered: Wed, 16 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor