Suggest treatment for high fever and fatigue

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I had a bad case of the flu a 5 weaks ago with fever over 102 deg. I am still sick in stomach and weak and shaking. I am in Arizona. Other conditions i have previously are stomach polyps from PPIs over last 15 yrs. and hiatal hernia, and very high collesterol.
I also have cholangitis a bile duct blockage from gall bladder surgery 7 years ago that has gotten infected twice.
My general labs are normal as of a week ago. Don't know what to do next.
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Clarifications please

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.

Would you clarify a few things for me, please?
*by flu, do you mean stomach flu or a respiratory infection?
*do you smoke or consume alcohol?
*have you checked your sugar levels last week?
*what is your blood pressure like?
*what medications are you on a regular basis?
*even before the flu, have you been feeling rundown, fatigued, not well rested?
*have you had a follow up for the cholangitis in the past month?
*any abdominal pain or fever, chest discomfort, digestive trouble?

Based on your symptoms I would like to rule of impaired glucose tolerance and adrenal insufficiency
I recommend :
-a physician consult
-blood tests (blood glucose levels, complete blood count, kidney and liver function tests, lipid profile, thyroid hormones levels, HbA1c, ). If you have already done some of these, please forward the reports, if possible.
-ultrasound to check for liver and kidney health
-electrocardiogram and echocardiogram (to check for heart issues as you have high cholesterol)
-salivary cortisol levels

Stress on your body can cause hormone imbalances which can lead to diabetes and fatigue syndrome.
Heart disease can present as vague symptoms related to stomach and general fatigue in women. So please see a doctor to rule out anything serious. Hope this helps. Please get back to me with the above requested clarifications so that I can help you further.

Wish you good health. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Warm regards,
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 2 hours later
Thank you for your suggestions. I just found a Dr here a week ago, and they said my labs were normal, ie, liver, kidneys, cbc, thyroid, but I don't have access to them yet. I never smoked and don't drink and have normal blood pressure.
I have fatty liver and had Hepatitis A as a child.
I have hypothyroid and take Levothyroxine .88, Omeprazole 20 mg, Hrt Climara Hormone Patch 1/week & Lunesta 2 mg at bedtime. I have an essential (head) tremor that seems worse since my fever a month ago. Upper stomach area hurts and a lot of burping. I am still a little weak and legs weak. I have concerns about hiatal hernia or heart at this point. Have had many stomach polyps removed over the past 15 years from taking PPIs. So also concerned about my stomach. Will call for another appt, and give your suggestions. Any other suggestions?
Thank you very much!
Health care down here is hard to get. We are winter visitors so finally got a Dr here.
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Home remedies and diet changes

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the follow up and clarifications.

Yes you do seem to have gastritis.
As you have been on proton pump inhibitors (ppi) for a long time while, risk of H. Pylori infection is there. These cause ulcer disease over time.

*are your stools normal? Color?

I suggest :
-avoid refined grains and processed foods.
-have whole grains and home made foods
-avoid milk and fruit together and don't have these within an hour of a meal.
-don't have caffeine on an empty stomach.
-have more frequent but smaller meals and chew them well before swallowing.
-have plenty of water but not during meals. Few Sips are OK, if necessary. Else have water after a half hour after meals.
-avoid laying down within 2 hrs of a meal.
-avoid sugary and carbonated beverages.
-milk, honey soothe the stomach and intestinal lining.

These measures should help with gastritis. When your food remains in your stomach for long, bacteria act on it to digest it and produce gas.
If the food is not chewed properly, this can take a longer time and more gas is produced. So make sure you chew food well.
Reducing the amount you eat will help in digestion too. Frequent meals can keep your metabolism at a stable rate and give you more energy through the day.

Hope this helps.please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Wish you the best of health.
Warm regards,
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad