Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Not having periods, blood test showed underactive thyroid. Could this have stopped periods?

I used to get my period every 28days, lasting about 6 days. I have now not had a period for 6 months and am very worried. I have been to my doctor and had a blood test that showed my thyroid is slightly underactive but the hormone levels are normal. Could this have stopped my period and is there any way of getting them back? I m worrird this means I will not be able to have children in the futre. I am not on any birth control
Asked On : Wed, 23 May 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  43
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Endocrinologist 's  Response
Good day.
Underactive thyroid ( Hypothyroidism) can cause irregular/absent periods. But there are a number of other conditions which can cause this too. Do you have any nipple discharge or headaches? Do you have excess hair growth on face, chin, abdomen, chest etc ? . You have not mentioned your age. What is the average age of menopause in your family? A doctor need to examine you and suggest few tests. You may meet an endocrinologist to evaluate further. ( if there are none available near to your place, please meet a gynecologist). Just taking medicines to bring back periods without looking for the cause is not a good choice. I understand your concern regarding having kids, but be assured that, most of these disorders can be effectively treated.
Answered: Mon, 24 Mar 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor