Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

My son has Asthma or anxiety

My son has been a chronic asthmatic for 17 years, since age 1 and has allergies as well. He has always managed with daily dosages of his inhaler and is now on Advair. However, the past few times that he has been checked the doctor said that he has no asthma symptoms; at the time the doctor checked him he was not feeling asthmatic. After questionning him about his stress levels, the doc insists that it's not asthma and diagnosed him with anxiety and gave him sleeping pills and some other anxiety drugs. Yes, my son has stress. He is the valedictorian of his class and is entering college next fall as a freshman pre-med. But, he always seems to handle his stress well in my opinion. He is sometimes agitated, but aren't all teens? He's a great kid, and works hard and takes time off for tennis and fun. Now, my question is this: He continues to have asthmatic symptoms; sometimes with wheezing and sometimes there is no wheezing but shortness of breath. He almost passed out during a tennis match today. and this evening he said that his chest feels tight and he has shortness of breath should I take him to a specialist or a psychiatrist ? The doc said that I would be wasting my time going to a specialist.
Asked On : Fri, 12 Mar 2010
Answers:  5 Views:  754
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  Anonymous's Response

hie,i am a patient of same thing,,i have been a patient ogf seasonal bronchitis since the time i was 5 years of age,,now i am 21..however since last 1.5 years,,i have developed signs of permanent asthma,i should rather consider it as peculiar asthma,i am normal most of the times by taking a tablet of MONTEK LC(MONTEKULAST,LEAVOCITRIZINE)daily,however in the absence of my taking the tablet,i fall short of breething badly,,even doctors sometimes fail to find asthmatic symptoms in me most of times,,though when i dnt eat the tablet i feel terribly under respiratory stress and within an hour of taking the tablet,i get perfectly fine,please contact me at to further discuss your son"s problem as i find it some what related to mine.

Answered: Mon, 15 Mar 2010
Pulmonologist Dr. Tushar Sahasrabudhe's  Response

Anxiety is a well known trigger for asthma. This is the reason why asthma attacks are more common before exams or birthday celebrations!

On the other hand, anxiety can also produce similar feeling of chest tightness, shortness of breath and palpitations.

You need to differentiate what is the issue in your son's case. The answer is simple. Use an objective means to document asthma. Use a peak flow meter at home (which is a very very cheap but valuable instrument). Your son should record his best PEFR (Peak Flow Rate) when he is all right. Now whenever he feels short of breath, he simply blows in the PEF meter. If PEFR has dropped to less than 80% of his best, it is probably asthma and not an anxiety symptom. 1-2 puffs of salbutamol inhaler will quickly improve his PEFR to normal. If PEFR drops to less than 50%, it means an attack of asthma and you need to see a doctor. Presence of wheezing usually indicates an asthma episode because wheezing does not occur due to anxiety.

I hope that this information relieves your anxiety!

-Dr. Tushar
Answered: Thu, 30 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
HI!your son is 17 yrs.oldfrom your given history it seems to bestress induce episode of asthma psychiatrist's consultation with conselling will help much.
Answered: Tue, 28 Jun 2011
  Anonymous's Response
Allopath (antibiotics) will not give permanent cure;
I would recommend you
Nutrilite products for permanent cure

Nutrilite triple guard – will help in improve immune system and cure asthma
(1 day – 3-3-3 tablet, 2 day 3-3 tablet, from 3 to 15 days 3 tab one time)
Give break for 10-15 days and give above course for total 2-3 time based on improvement level with below food supplements
I will suggest you for minimum 2 times.

Nutrilite Concentrated fruit & vegetables – fight with all kind of allergy
from 1 to 15 days 2 tablet daily

Nutrilite BiOc (Vitamin C) –
from 1 to 15 days 3 tablet daily

Nutrilite Protein powder with milk or water – 10 gm daily

I had very serious problem and I am cured with in two months.

All these products are pure & natural and I have personally used for self and daughter.
If you need more information so mail to so that I will give you cell no of certified Nutritionist who recommended this to us for more understanding.
No doubt this will cost you more than medicine for two months course but it is really worth it.
Some important thing is you have to do are
1) 5 min regular exercise
2) Regularly have to take above food supplements as suggested.

I am engineer and working in pharmaceutical company as Manager.
My intension behind this write up is to give my self satisfaction by providing and helping people to get permanent cure.
you will not get above products in market If you need more information so mail me for more details you can reach me on “”
I will give you details of certified Nutritionist who recommended & provided these to me.

Answered: Wed, 15 Jun 2011
  User's Response
i am also having the same problem which you mentioned above, if any solution please contact me at
Answered: Wed, 13 Oct 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor