Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

MLS Surgery?

Dear Sir I m a renal transplant reciepient from Bangladesh. My transplantation was done 15 yrs. back in Kolkata India. Now my s.creatnine is 2.5 and urea is 74. I m also an insulin dependent diabetic. At this stage I m suffering from hoarseness of voice for 5 months (I/L vocal nodule). My ENT specialist suggested me speech therapy alongwith steam inhalation twice a day. If no relief, he suggests surgery: MLS under GA. Please let me know whether the suggestions are right? Pls. Let me also know is it possible to have surgery in my present fragile condition of kidney? If, the answer is yes than where? Indrajit Kundu (43) Bangladesh
Asked On : Fri, 11 Jun 2010
Answers:  4 Views:  819
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
  User's Response
Vocal nodules may recur after surgical removal if the underlying cause is not treated. Continue speech therapy for three to six months along with voice rest. Systemic steroids are contra-indicated in your case, but I would explore a trial of supervised local (inhaled) or systemic (monitored) steroid use. Other causes like acid reflux, smoking, allergy, hormonal disturbances or stress must be controlled. General anesthesia is possible in your condition, with a slightly higher risk than in normal subjects. If you are uncomfortable with your hoarseness or if you are a professional voice user, and you decide to undergo MLS, it is a quick and safe procedure. Any major institute in Kolkata is fine. You may consult and take the help of one of the senior-most ENT Specialists in Kolkata: Dr. Anirban Biswas
Answered: Sat, 12 Jun 2010
  User's Response
Dear Dr. Sumit
Thanks for your mail. I m not a smoker and there is no problem of acid reflux. But I m on steriod (prednisolone) for 15 years. By profession I m a university teacher. At this stage of my transplant kidney I prefer alternative solutions to surgery. So please let me know about any inhaler or anything else. I shall obey your advice regarding voice therapy and I shall communicate with the ENT specialist in Kolkata. I am now under the supervision of Dr. Saket Aggarwal in Apollo Hospitals, Dhaka. Please let me know your valuable suggestion.
Indrajit Kundu
Answered: Mon, 14 Jun 2010
General & Family Physician Dr. Jitender Chauhan's  Response
Hello, welcome to Healthcaremagic. Surgery is needed very rarely in vocal nodules. Vocal cord nodules, although they can certainly impair one's speaking and singing ability, rarely harm one's general health. Treatment, or voice rehabilitation, usually involves vocal training, speech therapy, and, occasionally, vocal rest. Removal of vocal cord nodules is a relatively safe and minor surgery. So you must talk to your ENT specialist about the mode of treatment and choose the best option. Wish you good health.
Answered: Sun, 30 Oct 2011
I find this answer helpful
OBGYN Dr. Nilima Ghosh Hajra's  Response
welcome to healthcaremagic
fnt specialist after examining you has advised you
you can always take second opinion and get another ent doctor's consultation and check up and get tests done as advised
nodules giving rise to hoarseness of voice should be taken seriously and get proper treatment
anaesthtists will do pre anaesthatic check up and take steps for safe anaesthasia in consultation with physicians and other soecialities
Answered: Mon, 7 Nov 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor