Diagnosed with angiomatous vocal nodule congestion. What should be done?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, my would be wife has been diagnosed with "Angiomatous Vocal Nodule Congestion". Doctor says there is a blood clot, and he also says it is normal - should be ok in 1 week with medicines. But if it is not ok, a surgery is needed. Could you please help us in what should be done, and why it happened. Our marriage is next week and the whole family is very much tensed.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: There is no cause for worry. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. Vocal nodules are fairly common. 2. This is benign condition and surgery is not an emergency. It is last resort if after several months of conservative medical treatment, the vocal nodules do not disappear or if the size increases or symptoms worsen. 3. Keep a weekly follow up with your ENT Specialist. She has to take the medication regularly and a bland diet with voice rest. 4. Get this re-evaluated as soon as the marriage ceremonies have been completed. I hope that I have answered your query. if you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 39 minutes later
Thanks a lot for the response. Could you get chance to look at the scanned copy of Laryngoscopy test I had attached. In your opinion, how big in size or serious does it appear, and if doing a surgery has any chances of harmful extreme impacts such as losing voice. Also, just for piece of mind - could it be linked to any chronic disease such as cancer? Following medicines have been prescribed by doctor are these for reference: 1. AZITHRAL SI 500MG TAB 2. ENZOCORT 30MG TAB 3. ZYRCOLD TAB 4. PAN D CAP Please help.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back 1. Yes, I did review the image. There is congestion of the left cord and the nodule. The right cord is normal. 2. The nodule is at junction of the the anterior third and posterior two-thirds of the vocal cord. This is the normal position of a vocal nodule. 3. Surgery does lead to voice change, but this is a problem mostly with professional voice users. 4. Cancer is highly unlikely. 5. The medical treatment is fine. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them. Regards.