Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Lower back pain, have scoliosis, pinched sciatic nerve, tender hips. Any ideas?

My lower back has been hurting, right of the spine , when i bend over it feels like a rubber band stretched to the max. I started school the end of august, so constantly sitting down studying. I was working out 5 days a week prior to the start of school. I am 28, I have acute scoliosis , in the past i have had doctors tell me I had a pinched sciatic nerve . Also, when I sit for an extended period, my legs will go numb. I did decide to start working out, my hips were tender on both sides doing several of the exercises. Any idea what it could be, or exercises to do, etc...
Asked On : Fri, 19 Oct 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  97
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Spine Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for the query. If your spine is not straight then you may tend to get on and off back pain. Where is the scoliosis, upper back? or lower back? leg numbness related to the pinching of the nerve. Have you had a MRI done in the past. Need to know more about disc conditions in the spine. For back pain usually back muscle stretching and core strengthening exercise helps.Thanks.
Answered: Wed, 31 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Praveen Tayal's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
The pain that you have might be related to scoliosis and bad posture while sitting for a long time. Regular back strengthening exercises are required for long term relief from the pain. You can consult your physical therapist for the same.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Wed, 3 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us.
Your back pain seems to be associated with your scoliosis and incorrect posture.You need to consult an orthopedician who will advise you an MRI scan of the spine to assess the degree of deformity and any nerve root damage.
The treatment usually involves rest with pain killers in combination with the muscle relaxants along with good physiotherapy exercises.
Meanwhile you can do a hot fomentation and apply a local analgesic gel on the area to relieve the spasm.
Hope this will helps you
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Answered: Thu, 4 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor