Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Length difference in legs, knee pain. Hip replacement, cemented prosthesis. X-ray shows fractured cement. Treatment?

I am a 69 yr.old male. I had a total hip replacement (right) in June 2008 at age 65. It was a cemented prosthesis although I did not know that at the time. About 2 years ago I started to have a lot of leg pain and I noticed that my leg had shortened by about 21mm. The pain has been resolved through the use of alternative therapy . However the leg length become progressively worse until now there is a 60mm difference between my legs. X-ray has shown that the cement holding the femoral stem has fractured. Blood tests have revealed no infection. Following a bone scan my surgeon (not the original surgeon) recommended that I wear a shoe lift which I was already doing. I have no pain in the joint itself but I sometimes get pain above the knee, especially during a long drive and I am experiencing increasing back pain which i think is being caused by the leg length difference. Should I insist on revision surgery and if it is revised can it be replaced with a cementless prosthesis.
Asked On : Tue, 24 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  53
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I think there is some confusion. Shortening occurs at the time of surgery and no shortening is possible after 2 to 3 years. If you are not feeling pain and you can walk i do not think that you need a revision surgery.Also I would suggest you to wear shoe raise .
As far as cemented or uncemented stem are concern this depend son bone quality, so if surgeon feels that your bone quality is not good, he can not use uncemented stem.
Answered: Sat, 3 May 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor