Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Knee surgeries. Have bruises on knee cap, swelling, lost stability. What can help?

I have had 5 knee surgeries on my right knee (my last surgery was in 01/12) and on Saturday I fell going up concrete stairs. I have two small unimpressive bruises for the amount of pain the fall created. Swelling in my right knee with a bruise on my knee cap and a small bruise about 34- below my knee cap on my left knee with back of knee pain on the left outer side (where no contact was made.) I have been icing and elevating my swollen right knee. I don t feel like I have lost any stability in my knee(s). And though it is painful - I have not lost any range of motion. If/when should I go see a Dr?
Asked On : Thu, 28 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  22
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

If you are walking normally, it excludes a fracture in your limbs.

From the description, it seems to be only a soft tissue contusion. This generally will heal spontaneously over a period of time.

The initial management is as follows -

* Rest to the injured part and dont involve in activities which puts additional strain on the injured tissues.
* Ice packing should be applied for about 20 minutes once in every 2 hours.
* Use elastic compression bandage around the swollen area
* Elevation of the limb
* Analgesic & anti inflammatory medications

If your symptoms are not resolving with the above measures, consult an orthopedic surgeon

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Fri, 19 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

General & Family Physician Dr. Manjula R's  Response
you have repeated knee injuries and surgeries, now you have injured and having swelling and lost stability in the knee joint..
better to see the orthopedician, if there is ligament tear or meniscal tear.. needs to be treated..
get well soon..
Answered: Fri, 19 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor