Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Knee pain, grinding sound when flexing leg. How can pain be alleviated?

When i go to stand up my knees hurt so bad. Once I am up, they no longer hurt but getting to that point truly hurts. I am a 41 year old female. In addition, if i am sitting and flex my leg up and down you can feel and hear a grinding sound in both knees. Is there anything that can be done to help alleviate the pain?
Asked On : Thu, 20 Dec 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  93
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and thanks for writing in
It seems that you are suffering from Osteoarthritis of both knee. This condition are age related changes and use of supplements and joint capsules along with analgesic drugs help in reducing the pain. Other line of treatment are:
1. Proper exercise and physiotherapy as advised by your doctor.
2. Intra-articular steroid injection
3. If all the therapies fail to get relief than knee replacement is the last option we have left.

Consult your doctor and get your X-ray knee done. It is better to delay the surgery as much as you can. Also try to reduce weight if you are overweight.
Best Wishes
Answered: Thu, 20 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query.

Well, it can be due to early symptoms of Osteoarthritis , this is the most common type of knee arthritis. knee arthritis symptoms tend to progress as the condition worsens.

This condition is diagnosed with physical examination and with x-rays. Line of treatment is- Physical therapy, Anti- inflammatory medications, Joint supplements like- Glucosamine and Chondroitin.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

Wishing you good health.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Answered: Thu, 20 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor