Knee Pain chondromalacia

hi i am 36 now, suffering from knee pain for 8 years, now MRI report says its chondromalacia patellae any treatment
Tue, 13 Aug 2013
Medical Procedures ,  
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
The following measures will help in resolving your problem of chondromalacia patella
* Keep your body weight at an optimum level
* Avoid extreme position of knee flexion as in sitting cross legged on the floor
* Active quadriceps exercises , which usually resolves more than 40% of anterior knee pain problems
* Analgesic and antiinflammatory medications
* Glucosamine sulfate supplementation for 2 months
* Avoid climbing staircases

Hope this helps

Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist Arun kumar's  Response
HI AS U KNOW U HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH CHONDROMALACIA PATELLAE U NEED TO GO FOR THE KNEE ROM EXERCISES AND QUADRICEPS STRENGTHENING EXERCISES .. PLS VISIT A PHYSIOTHERAPIST FOR THE DAILY EXERCISE PROGRAM .ALSO CHECK FOR UR HIP MUSCLES
AND IF THERE IS NEED OF VMO STRENGTHENING AS IT IS A STABILIZER OF PATELLA .
dr niraj garg's  Response
Dear montu
chondromalacia patellae is a damage to Patello femoral joint specially damage of cartilage to patella .
The MRI is not only investigation to diagnose cause of patella . Look for specific X rays and investigations for any systematic disease to find out the cause of disease . Please look for whether it is one sided or both sided.
Any how RIDE ( Rest, ice, drugs , and exercise.
If deformity to joint , it is to be corrected.

This is brief answer to a very short question

Dr Niraj garg
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response

Treatment by resting the knee.
Avoiding painful activities that irritate the knee for several weeks, followed by a gradual return to activity is important.
Use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication is also helpful to minimize the pain associated with chondromalacia.
Sometimes chondromalacia is not cured by conservative therapy, and it may be determined that surgery is needed for definitive treatment. By looking into the knee with an arthroscope, the surgeon can assess the damage done to the cartilage, if there is an anatomic misalignment that could be corrected.

Good day!
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Atul Wankhede's  Response
Dear Montu,
with respect to all options already given I would also suggest Visco-supplementation. Try searching for SynVisc One. A wonderful product that I regularly use for my patients, provided they have early changes only, like you.
Good luck
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Swetal Bhavsar's  Response
Avoid extreme range of motions. Reduce weight if you are overweight.

Some cold packs will help.
Can take food supplements as they are not FDA approved drugs.
If it doesn't work , please go for Chondrocyte Implatation therapy. It is expensive but hopeful. Usually I do 2 small day care surgeries at interval of 6 weeks.
Will explain you in details in personal meeting as it is a long explanation here.

Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist Vikas Dwivedi's  Response
welcum to healthcaremagic
chondromalacia patella already diagnosed..tht means ur Q ANGLE is changed.
nothing to be worry, just follow these simple steps , definitely within 7 days 80%pain will cum down.
1. do hamstring muscle stretch...u hv to put ur heal on table and touch the toe by opposite hand , if u r not able to touch, thn try to touch ,30 sec hold in that position 3 sets.
2.TFL stretch for that u see some u tube video, 30 SEC HOLD 3 SETS
3.VMO STRENTHENING... Lie down straight on ur back ..put one helmet or roll a pillow below the knee jt and then lift ur leg from knee to ankle only. 100reps 3sets.
101% ur pain will cum down by these three only.
if u r not able to understand then u can contact me . my id-smartestvikas@gmail.com
tk cr
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic Forum
You can take homoepathic medication, very helpful in orthopedic conditions , and sports injuries.
ALong with that, rest, compression, ice application, elevation, avoiding prolonged sitting in one posture, avoding overexertion like sports and physiotherapy is adviced.
Painkiller medication, if required, which I am sure you must be taking for 8 yrs now.
Takecare.
Dr.Dinesh's  Response
HI ,

to know more about most recent , innovative stem cell therapy for chondromalacia patellae , please contact drdineshp@regrow.in
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. S S Soni's  Response
For chondromalacia patellae, first you start conservative treatment as below
1. cap. lubrijoint-OD once a day
2. tab. bidanzen forte twice a day
3. cap. Evion-LC before sleep
3. do not bend knee beyond 90 degree, do not stand or walk for long,do not wear knee cap or any other tight garments around knee
If by this treatment you do not feel comfort within 40 days , it means you need arthroscopc surgery
you can contact me at drsssoni@gmail.com for further information
Take Care