Is it true that you can stop a heart attack by coughing ?

is it true that you can stop a heart attack by coughing?
Mon, 14 Dec 2009
's  Response
No, it's a myth.

Is this true; Hi All, read this:- 1 Let’s say it’s 7.25pm and you’re going home (alone of course) after an unusually hard day on the job. 2 You’re really tired, upset and frustrated. 3 Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your chest that starts to drag out into your arm and up in to your jaw. You are only about five km from the hospital nearest your home. 4 Unfortunately you don’t know if you’ll be able to make it that far. 5 You have been trained in CPR, but the guy that taught the course did not tell you how to perform it on yourself. 6 HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE? Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack without help, the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness. 7 However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest. A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without let-up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again. 8 Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital. 9 Tell as many other people as possible about this. It could save their lives!! 10 A cardiologist says If everyone who gets this mail kindly sends it to 10 people, you can bet that we’ll save at least one life. 11 Rather than sending jokes, please..contribute by forwarding this mail which can save a person’s life…. 12 If this message comes around you ……more than once…..please don’t get irritated……U need to be happy that you are being reminded of how to tackle….Heart attacks….AGAIN… From: DR.N Sivakadakshm,                          (Senior Cardiologist)

Hi, I recently came across an article where it was said in case a person is having heart attack, making them eat aspirin stops the attack. I was wondering if this was true. Also, does the tablet Combiflam contain aspirin and work to create the same effect in stopping a heart attack? If not then what easily available medicine in india does the work? Please advise, this is very important. Regds,

hi, i have been taking diclofenac for some years now,( i have problems with my knees), but now the surgery have stopped them and given me another anti infammatory, they say that diclofenac causses heart attacks, is this true ? as i found them really effective for my pain, thanks david dodsworth.

Recent questions on  Heart attack

i got symptoms of heart attack like electric shocks and i was unable to stand sit or lye down . Immediately i took a step and i went to care hospitals and took treat ment . The dostor said i got symptoms of heart attack bcz of some blocks he has prescribed clopidogrel 75mg and telmisartan 40 mg o.d. My weight is 96 kgs and my height is 5 6 . Kindly give us good remedy.                                                   

Dear Sir, I am suffering from left side chest pain from nearly 2 years, 6 months before i was undergone endoscopy which shows that i am having Hiatus Hernia the doctor suggested for sompraz L, Zinetac whic hi was taking for 6 months now the doctor has prescribed me Pantocid Capsule in the morining and Franxit in the evening but still i am suffering from chest pain kindly suggest. Arvind Chopade YYYY@YYYY

Hi! My mother s family has a history of heart disease. My maternal grandfather died of a heart attack in his sixties. My maternal grandmother suffered a stroke and died in her early sixties. My mother is currently in her late 50 s and suffers high blood [pressure from time to time. She is on daily medication for her B.P. A few days ago she got continuiing chest pains and went to the doctor. They told her that her arteries are fine but since she has had hypertension sometimes, this has resulted in the weakening of something (aorta?) How serious is this? is it curable? is it a guarantee that she too will suffer an early heart attack like her parents? Is there a way to beat genetics? Thank you.                                                   

when ever I run a push vaccum cleaner or a push mower I get real light headed and end up with a headache and feel very shakey. In a sense I feel like I am walking around very light headed like I can pass out. I use to be extremely overweight but around 162 now but when I was at 280 this would happen during most strenuouis task, it only happens now when I do these two things. I use to get heart skips or flutters alot but rarely now. My father died of heart blockage and my mom has blood pressure issues and has had 2 heart attacks. Could this be related?

A cat scan for the lungs revealed atherosclerosis of the great vessels , aorta and coronary arteries. Aorta and pulmonary arteries are normal in caliber. Heart and and pericardium are within normal limits. There are no significant mediastinal or...

My father is 91 and his systolic is 228. Don't know the other number. Should I worry?

Hello Doctor, I have had some wisdom tooth pain and went to doctor, he advised me to use hydrogen preoxide one week and lets try the infection go. He took xray of wisdom tooth and said all other looks good. He further said as I have never been to...