Is it true that you can stop a heart attack by coughing ?

is it true that you can stop a heart attack by coughing?
Mon, 14 Dec 2009
's  Response
No, it's a myth.

Is this true; Hi All, read this:- 1 Let’s say it’s 7.25pm and you’re going home (alone of course) after an unusually hard day on the job. 2 You’re really tired, upset and frustrated. 3 Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your chest that starts to drag out into your arm and up in to your jaw. You are only about five km from the hospital nearest your home. 4 Unfortunately you don’t know if you’ll be able to make it that far. 5 You have been trained in CPR, but the guy that taught the course did not tell you how to perform it on yourself. 6 HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE? Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack without help, the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness. 7 However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest. A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without let-up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again. 8 Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital. 9 Tell as many other people as possible about this. It could save their lives!! 10 A cardiologist says If everyone who gets this mail kindly sends it to 10 people, you can bet that we’ll save at least one life. 11 Rather than sending jokes, please..contribute by forwarding this mail which can save a person’s life…. 12 If this message comes around you ……more than once…..please don’t get irritated……U need to be happy that you are being reminded of how to tackle….Heart attacks….AGAIN… From: DR.N Sivakadakshm,                          (Senior Cardiologist)

Hi, I recently came across an article where it was said in case a person is having heart attack, making them eat aspirin stops the attack. I was wondering if this was true. Also, does the tablet Combiflam contain aspirin and work to create the same effect in stopping a heart attack? If not then what easily available medicine in india does the work? Please advise, this is very important. Regds,

hi, i have been taking diclofenac for some years now,( i have problems with my knees), but now the surgery have stopped them and given me another anti infammatory, they say that diclofenac causses heart attacks, is this true ? as i found them really effective for my pain, thanks david dodsworth.

Recent questions on  Heart attack

Hi, I am 55 years old Indian. Suffered and survived a heart attack in year 2000. Angiogram was done and about 30 % of LAD was blocked. Doctor advised not to do stenting, only on medications and was advice to take care diet and exercise. Currently on tab enalapril and aspirin. Missed heart beat is worrying me. Pls advice

hi doctor
my husband has a heart attack patient ,his 1st attack time he pass the urine with blood and starting the pain
and he hospitalized,the doctor found 2 block ,one block is 90% and another one is 30% .The doctor suggested to angioplasty and it is done ,30% block is reduce through medicine.But the problem is that last week my husband has 2nd attack and same symptoms is found urine with blood and doctor is said the 30% block is increase to 40% and he suggested to angioplasty. please tell me why the doctor is suggest to do angioplasty and why this symptoms(urine with blood) shows.

My brother in law has been to the er twice now and has been sick for two months. Nobody can seem to figure out what is wrong with him. His chest hurts, he feels like his heart is beating irregular and he is very dizzy and his hand even keeps getting numb. He had a heart attack about 5 years ago. Do you know what might be the problem?

I have constant PVS's every day, I go to sleep with them, wake up with them. Heart Disease runs in my family and I am afraid this is a sign that something is wrong... I been having them for about 2 years now.. I have been to Dr. my ekg was normal, I was in the hospital a year ago thinking I was having a heart attack and everything was fine.. Had a stress test which was good.. I am 47, what is wrong with me...

A cat scan for the lungs revealed atherosclerosis of the great vessels , aorta and coronary arteries. Aorta and pulmonary arteries are normal in caliber. Heart and and pericardium are within normal limits. There are no significant mediastinal or...

My father is 91 and his systolic is 228. Don't know the other number. Should I worry?

Hello Doctor, I have had some wisdom tooth pain and went to doctor, he advised me to use hydrogen preoxide one week and lets try the infection go. He took xray of wisdom tooth and said all other looks good. He further said as I have never been to...