Is it safe to take Thyronorm 150mcg everyday?

I m 43yrs old woman.i had undergone an operation and removed thyroid gland because of the multiple nodules . i m 97 kg wt and 5 8 height. I m taking Thyronorm 150mcg everyday.Is it proper dose? are there any side effects? I am also taking atenolol 50 per day
Wed, 15 Sep 2021

Thyronom contains thyroxine that is used in the treatment of hypothyroidism or underactive thyroid gland. The recommended dose of Thyronom for non pregnant healthy women is 1.7-2.0 mcg / kg / day per orally (PO) once daily. As your weight is 97 kg, so Thyronom 150 mcg is the proper dose for you. Thyroid function tests should be done at 4-6 week intervals and the dosage adjusted by 12.5-25 mcg increments until the serum TSH concentration is normalized.

Side effects of this medication are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, headache, sweating, abdominal pain, rapid or irregular heartbeat, anxiety, nervousness, restlessness, changes in menstrual cycle, sleeplessness, allergic reactions etc. Usually these side effects are mild as well as self limiting and go away over time as the body adjusts to this medication. But if these side effects persist for long or bother you then you should consult your doctor first for medical help.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Zubayer Alam, General And Family Physician