Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
194 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Iron deficiency, heavy menstrual bleeding, tiredness. How to increase iron levels?

I have an Iron deficiencuy my no# is a 7 .. I want to know how can I get my Iron number up as fast as possible? I ve had this proublem all my life my period left as it came at thriteen if came and at 59 it turn off. just like that....always a heavy bleeder. I m now 62, in may I ll be 63.....I feel tried all the time and stay home all the time. Can not join the other women at play.
Sat, 20 Jul 2013
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests ,  
Medical Topics
OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine 's  Response
Hello, you have a low Hemoglobin which needs to be corrected to make you feel up and about. Since you always had heavy periods, your baseline Hb. must be low but please get the anaemia workup done before we label it as iron deficiency anaemia due to chronic blood loss. If all the rest of workup suggests pure iron deficiency, you can use iron supplements and take iron rich food, do not forget to take your regular calcium, vit. D supplements also daily to give you that feeling of well being and stamina.
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Akhilesh Dubey's  Response

Thanks for using Healthcaremagic,

I presume number is 7 is Haemoglobin level, you should visit a Physician/Haematologist to proper examination and investigation, blood loss is one of the important cause of Iron deficiency Anemia.
So tests like Serum Iron, Serum Ferritin, and TIBC (Total Iron binding Capacity) and if required bone marrow examination may be done to confirm and then treated accordingly.
You are in menopause now other source of blood loss like from GIT so occult blood should be tested in stool.
Once diagnosis is confirmed then it can be treated by injection of iron for rapid correction of iron. This will be followed by oral iron therapy along with other vitamins like B12 and folic acid. If required blood transfusion may be used.
Hope this information is useful to you. You should start visible improvement in few weeks.
Take care.
Good Luck.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have a uterine fibroid which causes pain, heavy bleeding and a distended stomach. I suffer from iron-deficiency anaemia because of the heavy...

Recent questions on  Parenting

doctor1 MD

hi my name is Sara and my 2 yr old son use to go to bed no problem and sleep through now he screams when me or his dad leaves the bedroom and then...

doctor1 MD

hai yestersday we came to know that my mom is affected by Filaria rt and doctor has asked her to come again on sat. is it curable? i am worried a...

doctor1 MD

I am 18 years old and my height is 5 4. I need some advice on how to be taller. my dad is 5 8 n mom is 5 2. People in my family are all above 5 8...