Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Infant having irritation and swelling in the genitals. Crying while urination. Is she having urinary tract infection?

I have a 19 month old daughter who just tonight didn t want to keep her diaper on and kept smacking/touching her private area. She seemed slighty swollen in that area too. She was fussy until she was able to urinate...when she finally did, she s back to running around and playing...does this sound like a uti? Or am I being paranoid?
Asked On : Thu, 2 Aug 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  48
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi, Becca,
Thanks for query.
It seems that she might have some local irritation due to diaper.
Apply some moisturizing cream or lotion on the part.
It is also likely that she. might have UTI.
Go on frequent change of diaper and clean the area with powder and keep that area dry.
Ok and bye.
Answered: Thu, 2 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Saurabh Kumar's  Response
Dear Parent
i have gone through your question. It seems your daughter needs deworming and urine checkup to check for any urine infection. You have not mentioned your daughter's weight so i cannot suggest you any medicine.Please consult a child specialist who has to examine the genital area of your daughter and accordingly prescribe medicine.
Answered: Thu, 2 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Chandan's  Response
Hello sir/madam,
I am highly concerned regarding your child's complaints. Scratching and touching private area does not necessitate that your daughter has Urininary tract infection. Usually UTI is associated with other systemic complaints such as crying during micturition, hesitancy in passing urine, fever, excessive crying etc. It might be due to some local fungal infection such as moniliasis or tinea corporis. At the same time it is essential to perform urinary test and rule out UTI. So kindly let your child be examined by your pediatrician, and perform required tests. Do not worry, your child will be well soon. Thank you
Answered: Thu, 2 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor