Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

I have been constipated literally since I was born. Should I consult a doctor ?

I have been constipated literally since I was born. I m 18 years old now and it has not gotten any better. I don t know what to do. I must admit that I drink, at most, 4 glasses of water a day (I ve been trying to get better at drinking water since some days I ve drunk as few as one glass and it seems to help a bit). Also, I didn t eat a lot of vegetables and fruits until recently, where I decided to change that to see if it helps and it does help too. However, I want to know if there s anything else I should be doing about this? Any particular foods that should be incorporated in my diet? Also, could this be a sign that something is wrong with me? Should I consult a doctor?
Asked On : Sat, 25 Jun 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  135
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
  User's Response
you should eat high fiber diet like vegetable and fruits like banana and should drink atleast 2 litres of water. if you still have problem yous should consult a doctor or take isabhgula for constipation.
Answered: Sat, 25 Jun 2011
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Thanks for query,
Now a day constipation is common problem due to lack of physical activity and change of life style and food.
Do regular exercise like running,jogging,swimming etc.
Take plenty of water and liquids.
take more green vegetables and fresh fruits to give more bulk of food will clear your system.
Constipation does not produce any problem unless there is absolute constipation.
ok and bye.
Answered: Sat, 25 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale's  Response

Constipation involves two entities.

1)hard stools-these can be relived by high fiber diet,lot of water &liquids in

diet,activelife &exercises.

2)Delayed but regularmotions-for eg.-somebody may pass motion say every3rd day or 4th day! But it's his long as there no discomfort one should not be worried.

If there is dicomfert, Some yoga exersises like Kapalbhati pranayam,Nauli Kriya do help by better bowel movements.

Drinking a big tumbler of warm water early morning regularly & there after try to pass (with help of accupressure) regularly will help in regularising bowels.
A medicine like Duphalac suspention taken 2 Spoons with warm water at bed time for 10 days may help to start the process.

Answered: Sat, 25 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor