Suggest treatment for constipation while treating vitamin D deficiency

Question
Hi, Dr. My PCP put me on 5,000 units of vitamin D a few months ago due to severe fatigue every day. For a few days I took 1000 units of vit. D at bedtime also. Then I was feeling quite a bit better. However, my dr. Said Not to do the extra 1,000 units that it was not a good idea, but he did not really say why. Can u explain to me why not pls since it makes me feel much better. My D used to be 24 when I took 1,000 morning, 1000 at night.
With the 5,000 units, it moved up finally to 30 on testing.

For my sister , age 71, she had a back surgery to open up the spine, 3 vertebrae were to tight. Surgery by a neurosurgeon at cedars Sinai. Then she went to rehab for a few weeks, she has had 2 bladder infections, treated with 2 antibiotics but they did not get better. She is now only on one oxycodone but very constipated. She will have a colonoscopy early January. What can she do to be less constipated. She does not like Ducolax, she took Miralax for 2 days. What would be good to do to go and be less constipated. Many Thanks.
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Discussion follows

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
Your symptoms were due to the Vitamin D deficiency and you feel better after its correction. As per the present knowledge a person requires 1,500 to 2,000 units of vitamin D per day . If you are not exposing yourself to a good amount of sunlight , it would be advisable to continue vitamin D supplements. There are preparations containing 50,000 units and if you take once a month of that, would be sufficient if you find it easier than taking tablets daily.
As for your sister an osmotic laxative like Movicol or Duphalac would be preferable.
Do get back to me if you have further questions.