Suggest treatment for constipation while treating vitamin D deficiency
With the 5,000 units, it moved up finally to 30 on testing.
For my sister , age 71, she had a back surgery to open up the spine, 3 vertebrae were to tight. Surgery by a neurosurgeon at cedars Sinai. Then she went to rehab for a few weeks, she has had 2 bladder infections, treated with 2 antibiotics but they did not get better. She is now only on one oxycodone but very constipated. She will have a colonoscopy early January. What can she do to be less constipated. She does not like Ducolax, she took Miralax for 2 days. What would be good to do to go and be less constipated. Many Thanks.
Welcome and thanks for your query.
Your symptoms were due to the Vitamin D deficiency and you feel better after its correction. As per the present knowledge a person requires 1,500 to 2,000 units of vitamin D per day . If you are not exposing yourself to a good amount of sunlight , it would be advisable to continue vitamin D supplements. There are preparations containing 50,000 units and if you take once a month of that, would be sufficient if you find it easier than taking tablets daily.
As for your sister an osmotic laxative like Movicol or Duphalac would be preferable.
Do get back to me if you have further questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Will replesta treat vitamin d deficiency?
- Vitamin d deficiency ayurveda treatment
- Homeopathic treatment for vitamin d deficiency
- Vitamin d deficiency treatment emedicine
- Is drisdol used in the treatment of vitamin d deficiency?
- Keloid treatment with vitamin d deficiency
- Treatment and cure for vitamin-d deficiency
- Treatment of vitamin d deficiency
- Suggest treatment for vitamin d deficiency
- Vasculitis vitamin d deficiency treatment
- Can hepatitis C be cured?
- Does tonsillitis cause systemic infection or UTI?
- Suggest treatment for liver cirrhosis
- What causes pain in right side and pain radiating to lower back?
- What causes sharp pain in rib cage below shoulder blade?
- What causes rhythmic contraction of the diaphragm?
- What is the treatment for radiculopathy?
- Is Zentel to be taken before or after a meal?
- What causes pain in upper abdomen radiating to left side?
- How long Lupron injections need to be continued for prostate cancer?