Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

I have a dull aching pain in my left knee, please suggest me remedy for it

I am a 29 years working as a computer engineer. I have a dull aching pain in my left knee since 5 years. The pain is aggravated on the exertion. The pain started when i used to play basket ball as a professional, though i had not have any serious injuries. Wondering what might be the cause for this pain and please suggest me some measures..
Asked On : Fri, 8 Jan 2010
Answers:  13 Views:  1325
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us.
You might be suffering from patellar tendinitis or chondromalacia patellae, which causes pain in your knee on exertion. This type of knee pain related to overuse or physical activity.
Slight modifications in your life style can help.
- Do regular knee exercises (quadriceps and hamstrings).
- Always warm up before exercising and cool down afterwards. Stretch your quadriceps and hamstrings.
- Lose weight if you are overweight. Every pound that you are overweight puts about 5 extra pounds of pressure on your knee cap when you go up and down stairs.
- If you have flat feet, try special shoe inserts and arch supports (orthotics).
- Make sure your running shoes are made well, fit well, and have good cushioning
Hope this helps you. You can cosult me again directly through my profile
Answered: Mon, 5 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist Arun kumar's  Response
HI as ur a computer engineer u may be keeping ur knee in flexed all the time .. i feel u may have plica syndrome or u may have patellofemoral pain syndrome considering ur age as the pain get aggravated on activity .. pls visit a ortho or physiotherapist as soon as possible .
Answered: Mon, 12 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist Vikas Dwivedi's  Response
welcum to healthcaremagic
ur problem seems to be a patello femoral syndrome, that is also called as runners knee becoz u played basketball. better u go n consult a sports physio. definitely ur problem will cum down.
Answered: Tue, 10 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. K. P. V. Rao's  Response
Dear Mr.Arya,
As you are a basketball player,your game involves lot of jumping which ,over a period of time causes soreness and pain in the knee of the leg on which you land most of the time.Furthermore, if you are on the overweight side at present,this agravates the pain as arthritis starts developing as time passes.My suggestion to you is get x-ray left knee AP/Lateral done to r/o osteoarthritis.You can take Tab.Flanzen-D 2 times a day for timebieng to reduce the pain.
Answered: Fri, 18 Nov 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Khaleel Ahmed.Manik's  Response
first the cause has to b worked out , an old injury is the strongest possibility , any abnormal working posture due to ur height and unsuitable table and chair. seems to b a simple prob . consult a ortopedician . ,
Answered: Thu, 5 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Hi Arya,
As you are a sportsman, the knee pain could be most likely due to trauma. If you notice a click in a typical position of the knee, it could be a meniscal injury. If your knee locks, i.e gets stuck suddenly while extending it, again it could be related to meniscal injury or a loose body. A loose body can arise from a separated piece of cartilage with or without bone attached to it due to previous trauma. In this case your knee may lock in a different angle every time, unlike for meniscus where it always locks in the same angle of knee flexion.
If your pain doesn't subside with rest, analgesics and appropriate physiotherapy, you will require an Orthopaedician's (Arthroscopy surgeon) opinion, an MRI and/or diagnostic Arthroscopy.
An MRI or diagnostic arthroscopy will reveal the problem with your knee.
Answered: Fri, 6 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response

Where's the pain in the knee?

I suggest an MRI scan
Answered: Thu, 30 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Hi.. There are many ligaments that are around the knee joint. They are more prone to get injured during sports.
Answered: Mon, 18 Jan 2010
  User's Response

You may probably be having such ligament injuries.
Answered: Mon, 18 Jan 2010
  User's Response

The treatment for such conditions can vary from just support to the knee joint to surgical therapy.
Answered: Mon, 18 Jan 2010
  User's Response

Hence it is advisable to see an orthopaedician to know the cause and for the proper treatment.
Answered: Mon, 18 Jan 2010
  User's Response

You can start of with knee support and consult an orthopedician for the treatment.
Answered: Mon, 18 Jan 2010
  Anonymous's Response

Could be a cyst. My husband had the same thing and had to have it removed. Good luck.

Answered: Fri, 8 Jan 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor