Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

How to diagnose a 2.5 year old suffering from Spastic diplegia ?

my child is 2.5 years old and is suffering from spastic diplegia ,only his legs are affected and the rest he is normal.What is the cure of this illness?
Asked On : Sat, 7 May 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  136
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi Welcome to Heathcare Magic

Spastic diplegia is a condition where there is increased tone of the muscles of thigh.. the child will be unable to walk properly.. solution for this problem is physiotherapy, complete recovery is not possible... the child is needed to be examined for any other defects like vision. hearing, speech..pediatrician consultation is necessary..
Answered: Sat, 7 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Hi Kaif,
Cerebral Palsy is a disorder of the brain which affects the extremities, cognition, speech, hearing, vision and emotions in varying degrees. He will need a detailed evaluation in a Cerebral Palsy clinic which consists of Paediatrician, Orthopaedician, Physiotherapist, Orthotist and Child Psychiatrist.
- If his limbs are too tight, he'll need correction with either plaster casts or physiotherapy based on the severity.
- Surgery for loosening the tight muscles is usually advocated after 8-9 years as there's a higher chance of repeated and multiple surgeries if done earlier.
- Testing for hearing and vision should also be done.
- Physiotherapy is required throughout or else the limb deformities will tend to recur.
- An Orthotist will prescribe the appropriate tools or attachables required for walking.
- Constipation is a common association and should be treated with high fibre diet (bananas, green veg, carrots, tomatoes) and adequate water.

Better visit a center which deals with such children. These children are very special and you shouldn't give up hope on them.
Take care. Your concern says that you will be able to manage him well.
Answered: Sun, 8 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor