Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Have hereditary spastic paraparesis. Stiff joints, tendon pain. Taking Celebrex for arthritis. How to reduce pain?

User rating for this question
Answered by

HIV AIDS Specialist
Practicing since : 1974
Answered : 2703 Questions
I have Hereditary Spastic Paraparesis that could be the complicated form as I also have ichthyosis vulgaris[?] or just the uncomplicated form of HSP + ichthyosis. With the hereditary spastic paraparesis my joints are very stiff and I experience a great deal of joint pain. I had a physical therapist visit me to see what exercises I was doing in conjunction with HSP muscle tightness in my back, neck, hips, arms and legs and although I have been told I have high levels of muscle tone I try to move as much as possible. [ the specific exercises were created for me when I had knee replacements. What this physio confirmed for me was it is the tendons that are hurting rather than the muscle body. Yesterday I had an appointment for a gerentology investigation and had to do a fair bit of walking through the parkade and the university. My tendons hurt like hell today and my brain is telling me that as my skin is so thin and fragile, is it also possible that the ichthyosis is affecting the stability of the tendons. When I try to stand or sit my knees feel like they are on fire and basically today I just feel like someone hit me with a hammer all over my body. I do use a walker so that puts strain on my hands and shoulders. I find also if I have been doing a lot of walking or standing my toes are in excruciating pain the next day. My big conundrum is that I need to keep active to not loose my mobility but then when I do have a day where there is more walking involved then I'm a mess the next day. I don't want o damage the tendons but I need to keep up my mobility. I am currently 66 years old [mentally I feel like I'm 46 yrs. old but my body feels like 106. What can I take for this hideous tendon pain all over my body. I have previously been diagnosed with fibromyalgia but I'm not convinced I have that too.Yes I yelped when the physician hit some of the 18 target areas but I likely would have yelped at all of the tendon areas. I am on Celebrex for my arthritic pain. Tomorrow a bath lift will be installed for me so hopefully I can relax in a warm tub for the first time in about 3 yrs. I had to stop baths as I couldn't get out of the tub as the HSP worsened.OK back to basic question.... Could ichthyosis also cause deterioration of the tendon fibres that connect to the tibia, toes, shoulders, fingers. I tried 'googling that information without any luck. Hey maybe I just made a medical break through or discovery.AND YES I HAVE SEEN MANY MEDICAL SPECIALISTS[ neurologists, physiatrist as well as my family Dr. in conjunction with the HSP and dermatologists for my skin. Just curious about deterioration of tendons in conjunction with ichthyosis. Sore XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 7 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting your query.

I am able to understand your physical disability and sufferings.

Ichthyosis is not any way associated with your tendon problem or Hereditary Spastic Para-paresis.
Ichthyosis may be an inherited or acquired. If you have Inherited Ichthyosis then it would be present since your childhood. If it is acquired recently it may be due to other causes like hypothyroidism, Avitaminosis and Hanson' disease etc.

You have to avoid frequent washing. There are different types of moisturizing soaps, and lotions and creams available. With the guidance of a dermatologist you can improve the appearance of the skin and reduce the disturbance by using such preparations and along with multivitamins and amino-acid preparations.

Get well soon.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor