How to check that the chemo is killing the cancer cells and the disease is not progressing?

My Father,67 years, was diagnosed with NHL diffuse large B cell type lymphoma , about 2 months ago. Staged as 1. He was recommended 6 cycles of R-CHOP. He has completed 2. since the last 7-8 days he has been complaining of fever, initially low grade but over the last 3-4 days reaching to 99.5 and 100. fever subsides readily with paracetamol and he feels absolutely fit, but reoccurs after 5-6 hrs. He has no other complaint, no clear signs of infection. WBC count was 5000 about 5 days ago now it is 9000. Chest X ray is normal. Preliminary urine analysis is normal. Good appetite, no gastric complaints. He has been started on antibiotics (ceftum) 5 days ago but no relief. - could it be that the lymphoma is progressing and not being controlled by chemo?? - how to check that the chemo is really killing the cancer cells? that the disease is not progressing?
Fri, 25 Oct 2013