Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

How to avoid recurrent fibroid surgery?

My Name is Mrs Shaw a 33 year of age, living in Ludhiana, I have done fibroids operation twice now one in 1999 and 2004, quite recently my Doctor detected that it has started growing again. I dont want another operation, please help me; tell me what to do. Thank you
Asked On : Thu, 3 Dec 2009
Answers:  2 Views:  1846
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
  User's Response
It would have been better if you would have mentioned what type of surgery you underwent. Is it just the removal of fibroids? The recurrence rate for fibroid growth after myomectomy is high. Between 11% and 26% of patients will have recurring fibroids that are severe enough to need additional treatment. One study suggested that women who had uterus that were less than the equivalent size of 12 weeks of pregnancy and women who were overweight had a higher risk for needing repeat surgery. Myomectomy is the surgical removal of only the fibroid(s) leaving the uterus intact enabling future pregnancy. This may be done via a hysteroscope, laparoscope, or an open procedure depending on the size and location of the fibroid. In contrast, hysterectomy is the surgical removal of the uterus, is the most commonly performed procedure in the treatment of fibroids and is considered a cure. It is done if the women has completed the family and wish no pregnancy in future. An intraoperative Focused Ultrasound is a new procedure followed in developed nations. You can get this done timely till you attain menopause. Menopause reduces all the symptoms as the fibroids start regressing from then. One more newer technique is uterine artery embolisation in which the arterial blood supply to the fibroid is impeded. Knowing all these options you need to discuss these issues with your doctor and then decide what is best suited.
Answered: Thu, 10 Dec 2009
  User's Response

can an 18 year old be experiencing the symptoms of a fibroid ? i seem to be , and i'm afraid of going to the doctor , but i know i should go .

Answered: Wed, 7 Apr 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor