1. If your AEC (Absolute Eosinophil Count
) is above 440, you will require a course of de-worming and Tab. Hetrazan
100 mg thrice a day for a week, besides anti0allergic medication.
2. Mild DNS is present in more than 60 to 80% of the population. Everyone does not require surgery. You must take a trial of two weeks with an anti-allergic, anti-leukotriene (such as Tab. Rid-AR or Rupanex-M once a day), a Steroid nasal spray
(such as Rhinocort
Aqua) once a day in each nostril and steam inhalation. If there is even 10% relief, continue this medication for a month the taper over two months.
3. If there is no relief at all, get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) Scan done pre and post decongestion with Otrivin nasal drops.
4. A clear understanding of the nasal obstruction
, nasal valves and air flow is essential before effective surgery. If your nasal obstruction is only due to turbinate hypertrophy, Radio Frequency Ablation of the turbinates is a much simpler procedure. Usually no post op nasal packing is required.
5. After septal surgery, the nose has to be packed for 48 hours. If you are uncomfortable, there are newer packaging materials with breathing tubes available.
6. Though you may resume normal activities within a week, internal healing may take upto 4 week or even months. You can expect nasal blockage, discharge , slight bleeding bleeding or clots in the healing period. Cleaning the nose regularly and (self) alkaline nasal douches (washes) speed up the healing process.
7. You may consult Dr Sunil Narayan Dutt @ New Apollo Hospitals, Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore, +91 99001 28981. If your nasal allergy
is non specific (such as dust and pollution), avoidance is impossible, hence testing is not necessary.