How can pneumonia be managed?

I ve had symptoms of cough, headache, stuffy nose, fatigue, and sore throat for 4 days. I know these are typical of common cold. However, once before (18 months ago), when I just tried to ride it out, I developed pneumonia and was in hospital for several days. Are there any precautions I can take now to prevent this from getting complicated? Thanks.
Thu, 5 Jul 2018
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Yes, you are right. If you don't pay attention in common cold, it can complicate as pneumonia. So follow these steps for better symptomatic relief in common cold.
1. Drink plenty of fluids orally and keep yourself hydrated.
2. Do warm water gargles and steam inhalation 4-5 times a day.
3. Avoid cold foods like ice cream, cold drinks etc.
4. Take treatment for common cold regularly.
5. Watch for persistent fever, chest pain, Yellowish green expectoration, breathing difficulty etc. If any of these symptom appears then immediately get done chest x ray.
6. Avoid smoking and alcohol if you have these habits.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.