How can his total cholesterol be lower than the triglycerides ?

and I have questions about his cholesterol readings. His total cholesterol was 193, which is good. The triglycerides were 243, and the VLDL was 49. Both of those were high. . However his hdl was 54 (good) and his ldl is 90 (good).... How can his total cholesterol be lower than the triglycerides? I looked on the AMA website and couldn't find what I am looking for. Would the food you eat dirrectly before having the blood drawn affect the results of the tests? We had to drive 4 hrs to get to the appointment and he munched on raisins, peanuts and chocolate, drank coffee and some water with apple cider vinegar in it.
Fri, 25 Feb 2011