Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Hit leg, swelled , bruised, painful, lump, hard, numb under skin. What they might be?

Hi there,
About six months ago I hit my leg (mid calf on the front) on the corner of a bed frame and it was extremely painful and swelled up and bruised. After a few days the tenderness wore off, up until about 2/3 months ago it was still a hard swollen lump and bruised, it started to go down but now its just still as discoloured and its hard and numb under the skin. Any ideas what this might be?
Asked On : Fri, 12 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  638
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
The pain and swelling in the area of injury could be due to a hematoma formation in the area due to a soft tissue injury or a bone injury in the area. This needs an X-ray for proper diagnosis.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal ,
Answered: Tue, 2 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
I feel that the hard swollen lump could be a "Calcified hematoma" which is usually a harmless condition.
The numbness under the skin generally results from injury to the cutaneous nerves at the time of injury. It may or may not recover spontaneously and is not a matter of concern.
Hope this helps
Answered: Tue, 2 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Vishwanath. R. Hulsogi's  Response
Hello, this could be a organised hematoma, that is collection of blood under the skin more so occurs in the leg since bone is just underneath the skin. If you have no pain on weight bearing on the injured leg then do not bother it will take its own time to dissapear. Do not rub or massage. If weight bearing on that leg is painful then kindly meet a orthopaedician and take a x-ray to rule out any bony pathology. Thank you, get well soon.
Answered: Tue, 2 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor