Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

High pulse rate, SVT, palpitations, anxiety. Surgery the only option?

I am 30 years old, 4 years ago I was told that I had palpations and I changed doctors and was sent to my third cardiologist and I was told that I have SVT, I have been to the ER 5 times this year for heart rate 200- 250 and I was also told that I need to have surgery to fix the problem. My concern is that I have anxiety and I feel that because my anxiety level gets so high at just the thought of surgery that I will not be able to go through with the surgery is there any other way to fix the problem.
Asked On : Thu, 1 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  65
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello gingerlee62 , Welcome to I am Dr Sourav Chakraborty and will be helping you out with your query . First do not panic and analyze the situation care fully . At 30 years of age you have been diagnosed with supraventricular ventricular tachycardia and changing doctors would definitely not help you for sure . You need to undergo electro physiological study where we find the cause of arrythmia whether is it arising from heart atria or the ventricle as treatment differs as one needs ablation and the other needs pacemaker. You have not mentioned details of examination so i assume you have not undergone any such other than baseline ECG when you visited the ER with your symptoms. Regarding your fear about surgery , dear they will do it under anesthesia and you wont feel a thing. Also Electrophysiological study do not need general anesthesia and is done under local anesthesia and it is painless too. I firmly believe you need to go for EP study of your heart and decide a definite treatment for yourself and don't keep running from your symptoms. Please visit your cardiologist at once and discuss with him about further details . Hope i have been able to help you . Take care

Answered: Thu, 1 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor